SENTINEL IDEAS FOR CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM
1) Probable Cause protections to be cherished and enforced. Any officer who violates our probable cause protections subject to discipline and then removal for 2nd proven offense.
2) Any DA whose staff withholds exculpatory evidence from the accused to be disbarred, no appeal. If withholding exculpatory evidence results in false conviction, DA to serve automatic prison term.
3) Form a citizen review board that reflects the community to review evidence of wrong doing by public officials. Give the committee some teeth such as power to have DA present their evidence to a grand jury when found. Power to bring in outside agency to investigate when DA won’t or is the subject of the evidence.
4) Bail system reformed for non violent crimes so that money is NOT what makes the difference BUT, failure to appear without sufficient cause triggers automatic warrant and fine. FTA negates future opportunity for bail.
5) Limits on qualified immunity. False reports on LEO or by LEO gets same fine.
6) Speedy trial enforced. Either make the case or drop it.
7) More severe penalty for abusing official capacity.
8) Punishable crime to withhold info from investigators because of “code of silence”, both blue and black code of silence need to be obliterated for law and order, truth and justice to prevail.
9) No bail for violent crimes.
10) Build network for agencies to communicate in real time.
11) Educate grand juries with mandatory class so that DA’s can’t get a ham sandwich indicted. In the process, the grand jury needs to be forced to specifically request exculpatory evidence on each and every case. Failure to produce any such evidence in DA’s possession at this point subjects DA to disciplinary action outlined above.
12) Create a way for the majority of honest cops to be able to report abuse in the ranks for investigation without endangering themselves or their livelihood. Something more direct than investigative journalists in the community.
13) ENFORCE public records requests abuses by statute instead of requestor having to hire attorney. Current system of enforcement has NO TEETH and the corrupt like DA Hon have no incentive to abide by the laws. Fine and jail time for violating a most sacred right of the people.
14) STOP the political propaganda ‘official’ FB pages of LEO agencies. They have no business on ‘social media’ Do their job and let the journalists do their part. EVERY one that does it deletes negative comments by the public. THAT is illegal. If it is an ‘official’ FB page, every comment is a public record and is either left on display or archived to be able to retrieve but NOT DELETED! Deleting public records just because you don’t like what they say is communism 101.
15) STOP policing for profit, ie: Civil Asset Forfeiture until conviction. NO MORE take their stuff and make the accused fight the battle for their money/possessions at the same time they are having to defend themselves. Arrest and indictment can invoke a lien on money or property used in the crime but only on conviction can it be confiscated.
16) Any DA who rushes cases before the grand jury spending only a few minutes on each and not fully examining the evidence to be removed from office when proven.
17) STOP the war on Drugs, the war on poverty and any other intangible enemy warfare that is only a guise for wasting taxpayer money.
18) Prevent anonymous presence on the internet. Make people responsible for their free speech.
19) Any cop who is proven to be a gang member and involved in criminal weapon or drug offenses to be given life upon conviction.
20) Give TCOLE the power to drop in to any Texas Police agency and drug test top 5. If any drugs found, test the whole department and take punitive action.